Monday, May 11, 2009

The Wire

My favorite TV show is "The Wire." I started watching from episode 1 of season 1 and never stopped. I'm not like all these new fans who get the DVD's and blow through them all in a month. I had to wait one week between shows and at the most 2 years between some seasons. Talk about suspense!!

I could go on about how great the show is in all its aspects, but I really enjoyed the music. First off, all the music played on the show was diegenic, or that it came from the scene. So if you heard a song, it was coming from a car stereo, or the speakers in a bar, etc. No overyling soundtrack was used during 99 percent of the show. The other 1 percent, a song was used during a montage that appeared only in the last minutes of each season. David Simon, co-creator, took pride in choosing the song, saying, "I hate it when somebody purposely tries to have the lyrics match the visual. It brutalizes the visual in a way to have the lyrics dead on point. ... Yet at the same time it can't be totally off point. It has to glance at what you're trying to say."

SOTD

The Songs From "The Wire."

Season 1: "Step by Step" by Jesse Winchester (COULD NOT FIND THIS SONG!)

Season 2: "I Feel Alright" by Steve Earle






Season 3: "Fast Train" by Solomon Burke





Season 4: "Walk on Guilded Splinters" by Paul Weller




Season 5: "Way Down in the Hole" by Blind Boys of Alabama




Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment