Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Took a Trip to Garden Grove...

So I have been wearing my glasses officially now for like 3 days. I think I've gotten used to them. But I noticed an interesting phenomenon on Sunday. You see, the only glasses I've ever worn were sunglasses. And with sunglasses, your eyes can go many different places and no one would notice. Like, if youre walking down the street and a nice looking lady walks by, you can check out the goods without moving your head. Or if you dont feel like listening to your friend babble on about nonesense, you can look the other way, and still seem interested. So as I was walking down the street, i'm doing the normal sunglass moves, but I realized, people, and ladies in particular, can see my eyes! I kept wondering how many people saw me gaze in their direction.

It's beautiful out and I miss the lazy days of summer. This song brings me back...

SOTD

"Garden Grove"
Sublime
Sublime
1996

Sublime started out in California, natch, and brought that party scene to the forefront of the music scene in the mid nineties. They combined many genres, reggae, punk, ska, and hip hop to name a few. But they were hard core partiers and often had troubles on tours with drug arrests and being fucked up all the time..

Interesting Tidbit: Most people know Bradley Nowell, the lead singer died 2 months after completion of the the album. It was originally titled Killin' It. But considering the dude died, the band and label felt it was in poor taste.

Interesting Tidbit 2: The album went five-time platinum in 1999, on the strenght of "What I Got", "Santeria", "Wrong Way," and the fact that every wanna be stoner-surfer from every corner of the country adopted them as their voice.

Interesting Tidbit 3: The were the premier party band in Cali during the late 80s, early 90s and became popular like that. As a huge fan of music, I love when bands get big because of that. They were dudes playin parties and built their fanbase from the grassroots. Nothing against bands who get signed early and tour a lot, but something seems more genuine this way.

Yes this song just reminds of summers at the beach, working, causing trouble. Oh getting old sucks!





email

1 comment:

  1. Wait, you only have one song of the day?
    But, IT'S TWO FOR TUESDAY!!!

    doesn't it suck working during the summer?

    ReplyDelete